Friday, April 11, 2008

Leslie's Homemade Oatmeal Wheat Bread

All the great bread making women I know have "their bread recipe"- not one from a cookbook. finding your recipe is a sort of motherhood rite of passage. I started with one recipe. It evolved to the point that it no longer resembles the original recipe and I call it my own. As much as I hate the crumbs on the counter, few things make me feel more like a great mother than to hear my children cheer when I tell them I am making "my" bread.

Leslie's Homemade Bread
3 c. hot water
1Tbsp. salt
1/4 c. oil
1 c. br sugar
8-9 cups flour (4 c. wheat (red and white wheat combo), 2 better for bread, 2 c. oats)
2 Tbsp. yeast
1 tbsp. vital wheat gluten
1 egg

Stir the water, salt, oil and brown sugar together. Add 4 cups wheat flour, yeast and egg. Beat 4-5 minutes . Add 2 cups "oat flour" (take oats (old fashioned or quick) pulverize in blender to make oat flour). Mix well- add remaining bfb flour and gluten. Knead 10 minutes. Place in grease bowl and cover with towel - let rise in warm spot until dbl. pounch down divide into three loaves, roll out and form loaves. Let rise again until dbl in pans. Bake 35 mins at 325.

No comments: